On Tuesday 03 April 2018 00:40:27 Kurt Jacobson wrote:

> Gene,
>
> As far as I know ALL R8 collets have a 7/16"-20 UNF draw-bar thread,
> if it does not have that it is not an R8 collet!
> Your TSC does not stock UNF bolts? Pretty sure the ones around here
> stock both UNC and UNF in at least Grade 2.
> I know ACE stocks both UNF and UNC in Grade 2, 5 and 8 as well as in
> stainless, but we are lucky to have one of the better ACEs.
>
> While on the subject of thread standards ...
>
> I can't find it mentioned anywhere, but there is also what is
> sometimes referred to as a UNUF (Ultra Fine) thread.
> I guess it is not officially part of the UTS since I can't find a
> reference anywhere, but I have seen it referred to as UNUF on drawings
> and part lists. The "UNUF" I have encountered is 100tpi on small (#10
> and .25") set screws used for making fine adjustments on optical
> instruments and stages. You can get them from supply houses such as
> McMaster, so they are more or less standard parts.

I wasn't aware of those. Usually I've just made my own, but not finer
than 50 tpi. But since putting tapered gibs in the 7x12, I think it
could do 100 tpi stuff now. I haven't tried anything like that on the
sheldon, but with hand sharpened HSS tooling I don't see why not.
it did true up its own spindle by regrinding the short MT5 taper in its
bore. Well enough an ER-40 adaptor runs at under .001 TIR 4" from the
collet. And after the same grinder on the faceplates, the big chucks run
pretty true.

And I'd like to cobble up a target to mount in the tailstock, and a laser
diode in the spider so I could measure bed wear and calibrate that out
with a lincurve/offset combo. The bed doesn't look that bad, but...  I
didn't attempt to do tapered gibs when I rebuilt it, figured the
carriage was heavy enough to hold it, but have since found thats not the
case, I have seen it lift the 10 thou or so before the new gibs catch
it.  Later this summer maybe. At the same time I put some preload in the
z screw thrust bearing.  Despite some Reynolds wrap shims, it still has
3 or 4 thou of end play.