On Sunday 06 May 2018 19:19:00 Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> The rain finally deteriorated to a light mist today, and I've been
> waiting for weather dry enough to work outside so I could work on an
> alu panel as a table top on my shop buildings deck. The hd in the
> machine running the little mill has gone ro for the 4th time in about
> as many months, and I suspected the red sata cables.
>
> So this afternoon I opened it up and replaced the cable to sda, then
> had to do an e2fsck to all partitions, fixing a lot of stuffs. Put it
> back together, and found the cable to the dvd writer, also red, was
> also gone. Opened it and replaced that red cable and made a tall
> backplate for a 5i25 and installed it too.
>
> So now I am out of excuses to delay converting it from sw stepping to
> hardware. But dmesg is full of errors from that drive again, which is
> not a surprise as when I powered it up again, either the hd or the
> front panel fan I had installed sounded like its bearings were toast.
> Its not yet gone ro, but I'm now waiting for the other shoe to drop. I
> have a 64Gig SSD that will replace it when that happens.

Turns out an ata2 reset is being logged about every 2 seconds.  However,
ata2  is the dvd-writer. Not the junk 250 GB hd, several copies of which
have already failed here. Looks  like I have to pull it down and see
whats going on with the dvd tomorrow if the weather permits. Drives and
drive cables will yet be the end of me.