So what happens when the equipment with the 24V supply is 30m long in multiple
steel frames?  There would be a bonding wire from frame to frame since you
wouldn't want to bond one end to one AC ground outlet and the other end to a
different AC ground outlet.

What if you have 30A, 24V supplies at each end of the machine or in each
module.    If each 24V supply minus terminal is grounded to the frame and you
run a common ground bus through the machine you now have the frame and the
ground bus serving as the DC ground path.   You wouldn't want to run DC ground
on the frame.

I worked on a machine once that had I think 42 modules.  Each one was
independent and inserted two advertisement flyers into newspapers.  A client
would buy the number of modules they thought they would need for the number of
insertions.   I don't think they ran 24V from the front end all the way through
so probably AC to each module and a 24V supply for the motors and relays (and
air valves).   The entire set of modules was also connected via CAN bus so we
have the CAN signal ground in that match too.  It was a long time ago and I was
brought in to solve CAN bus problems so I never really looked closely at the
power.

What about if you have a vehicle instead.  Might have equipment mounted on
frames  that need to be bonded together.  If they run an independent battery
pack and/or genset then the DC ground doesn't need to touch the frame.  But
what if the vehicle 12V battery which does have negative connected to the frame
also provides some sort of vehicle connection.  Say a radio that has a modem
that connects to a PC.

Logic would dictate you want the DC ground of everything connected to the frame
with some bond wires even if just for lightning protection.  But now you run
risk of ground loops on the 12V circuits interfering with the system battery
pack.

Do the hybrid electric cars connect the negative DC of the high voltage battery
pack to the frame?

I'm amazed at the can of worms this question raises.  We haven't even discussed
the electrical noise issues coupled through the lowest impedance path.

John