On Monday 23 July 2018 01:09:29 TJoseph Powderly wrote:

> the page at
> http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
> lists an armhf build available for jessie scratch
>
> Jessie (uspace: realtime with RT-Preempt, and simulation)
> architectures: amd64, armhf, i386

Hi TomP; I am running that uspace build on a pi3b (armhf) to run the
Sheldon lathe.

deb http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie master-sim

Working quite well and as stable as a block of granite these days. With a
pinned rt-preempt kernel, the rest of it is kept uptodate from the
armbian repo's a couple times a week, and I've not experienced the local
event throwaway in 2 or 3 months.  Maybe one of the updates has fixed
it? However arm64 has not been added to the buildbot to my knowledge as
Sebastian has not found an affordable arm64 industrial rated board to
add to the buildbot farm, as of maybe 6 weeks ago when I last asked.

> deb     http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie scratch-rtpreempt
> deb-src http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie scratch-rtpreempt

Umm, thats new. Is it 2.7 something or master based? I don't have a
2.7.build on any of my machines, master seems more stable.

> arm build only exist in wheezy and jessie
> there are no arm anything files in newer or older builds
> i think I can edit this webpage
> but the maintainers ought to know it just doesnt exist

Right, no arm64 yet. That I know of, so I've figured on building it
myself if the pi dies. But the gpio setup on the rock64 is different,
and the spi driver (rpspi.ko) is conditionally built to run ONLY on a
pi3b, so thats the first thing that has to be fixed as it runs 40x
faster that any linux spi driver.  So there are several roadblocks
before a rock64 will actually move a machine, and that driver is the
biggest one. That I suspect will take a coder well above my pay grade to
fix. There is a bit of code about that can simulate a parport on the
rock64's gpio, which can in turn drive the 7i90 interface, but no clue
if its fast enough to compete with the faster (it writes 32 bit packets
to the 7i90 at 41 megabaud, reads 32 bit packet responses at 25
megabaud) this driver can do on the pi.

Thanks and take care, TomP.