On 25/07/18 02:46, Jon Elson wrote:
I use Freecad version 16 on debian, I have designed a cnc machine with
it, but I do not use the included cam module which is at first stage I
think

I downloaded ver 0.17, which was only a couple days old when I got it. Probably I SHOULD have tried with ver 0.16   I will have to try that at home and see if I do better.

The one problem with FreeCAD is that is not a 'simple' drawing package. It's parametric modelling credentials seem to get in the way of doing quick drawings, and if one is used to the 'quick sketch' method of working switching styles is irritating. Having said that, I'm getting up to speed on using it and have several jobs machined now that have not needed anything outside FreeCAD to do. I'm used to a more 'manual' approach to selecting the tool sizes and roughing out before taking finer cuts ... simply because I don't have a tool changer ... and once one gets a handle on the PATH module it works well. It is work in progress and every time I look there seems to be a new button, but it certainly seems the people contributing understand machining. Even adding hand coded gcode is included ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL