On Wednesday 01 August 2018 21:31:54 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 08/01/2018 01:04 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 August 2018 11:51:31 Jon Elson wrote:
> >> or LED retrofit.
> >>
> >> Jon
> >
> > Where can such a critter be sourced? And how much? (approximately)
>
> I've heard rumors that there are kits for certain LCDs that
> replace the whole backlight system with a drop-in package.
> So, the lamps are slipped out the side, LED strips are slid
> in, and the inverters are replaced with LED current
> regulators.  Some LCDs are built in such a way that this is
> essentially impossible.  So, it is apparently only available
> for certain models.  Also, at least a few years ago,
> replacement tubes were available, but only certain models
> could be safely retrofitted.
>
> I have no idea where to get such items, but trolling the
> repair forums online might point you to some outfit.
>
> Jon

I suspect the better, cheaper move would be to go check and see what
Wally has on the shelf.  And sales of usable stuff for $80 is not that
unusual. I've had a long decades service out of this one, so it doesn't
owe me a lot. When the itch gets bad enough... My cataracts are starting
to affect that itch too.

Thanks Jon.