What to boot off a hard drive?  Try "TFTP".   The hard drive is physically
connected to some other computer on your network and the Pi uses the
network to access it.   TSTP is the boot protocol used.

At one place I used to work the IT department set up user desktop PCs to
use TFTP to book a standard disk image from a server.  The desktop PCs did
not have ANY local storage.   Why?  Because if there is zero local storage
there is nothing to configure and nothing to loose if it crashes and zero
chance of a virus.    If the machine fails the TI guy simply un-boxes a
brand new machine and puts in on the desk and powers it up.  that's it.
The broken computer fits in the box and gets shipped back to the vendor.
ZERO configuration means zero problem solving.

The other thing it meant is that EVERY computer in the company can be used
by any employee and his desktop and files follow him

You can run a Pi3 the same way.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 5:31 PM Greg Bentzinger via Emc-users <
emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Has anyone played around with this: Pi-paraport
>
> https://github.com/garlick/pi-parport
>

> I had been wondering if a paraport emulator or an SSerial adapter could be
> made for the Pi GPIO
>
> The new question is can it be shoehorned into a realtime environment.
>
> I was thinking a ODroid XU4 imaged with DietPi and building upwards from
> that foundation.
>
> Worst case I use a genuine Pi 3 with the flash update to boot from
> external HDD (no more SDcard drama)
>
> What say the hive mind?
>
> Greg

Chris Albertson