On Tuesday 28 August 2018 09:25:17 Todd Zuercher wrote:

> I have done a fair bit of testing, and pins (1,14,16,17) work as
> inputs in X mode, they don't output any voltage in the other modes,
> but their resistance to ground does change in those modes, so
> something is happening.  All the other pins seem to work fine. My
> loadrt line in hal is :
> loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xe030 out 0xe010 out"
> Using loadrt hal_parport cfg="0 out 1 out" gives the same results.
> If I try to use loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xe030 epp 0xe010 epp" I get
> two warning popups "Linux parallel port @65535 not found" and hal
> shows pins for 4 parallel ports, but only port 0 seems to work.
>
> lspci -v
>
> 06:00.0 Parallel controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. PCI
> 9865 Multi-I/O Controller (prog-if 03 [IEEE1284]) Subsystem: Device
> a000:2000
>       Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
>       I/O ports at e030 [size=8]
>       I/O ports at e020 [size=8]
>       Memory at fe503000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>       Memory at fe502000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>       Capabilities: <access denied>
>       Kernel driver in use: parport_pc
>       Kernel modules: parport_pc
>
> 06:00.2 Parallel controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. PCI
> 9865 Multi-I/O Controller (prog-if 03 [IEEE1284]) Subsystem: Device
> a000:2000

MosChip, by several name variations, has been found wanting back in the
mists of time, failing to do an adequate job in the epp mode, both by me
and others on this list. I had good luck with startech parport boards at
the time. But now I'm down to just one x86 machine w/o a mesa 5i25 in
it. The 5i25, with decent motor voltage, can move the machine 3-8x
faster than software stepping. It and the Sainsmart bob make a good,  no
or very minimal mods required, depending on how fast the encoder for
spindle speed is.

>       Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
>       I/O ports at e010 [size=8]
>       I/O ports at e000 [size=8]
>       Memory at fe501000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>       Memory at fe500000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>       Capabilities: <access denied>
>       Kernel driver in use: parport_pc
>       Kernel modules: parport_pc
>
> The output from "cat /proc/ioports |grep parport" is a bit odd. In
> that it doesn't give any actually usable memory addresses ~$ cat
> /proc/ioports |grep parport
>         0000-0000 : parport1
>         0000-0000 : parport1
>         0000-0000 : parport0
>         0000-0000 : parport0
>
> Is it possible I damaged the card by testing it in X mode or that
> there is something wrong with the Cnc4pc C80 breakout boards I'm
> trying to use that wrecked them?  (I used a 470ohm resister to probe
> the port terminals to test with.) Or is it more likely that this card
> never really worked right.

No experience with that particular BOB.