On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 at 11:32, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 at 06:49, Roland Jollivet <roland.jolli...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If only the speed was a lot higher, it would be an awesome spindle motor
> > for rigid tapping.
>
> How much did you pay for it?
> What do you imagine would happen if you ran it faster?
>
> You could always gear it up. Maybe have a 1:1 ratio for tapping and a
> speed-up for normal milling.
> Either one toothed belt and two sets of (carefully chosen) pulleys or
> two permanently-engaged toothed belts with a peg to engage the
> high-speed ratio and an over-running clutch on the low-speed one:
> This one can do 85Nm:
>
> https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p152524/CSK25PP-25mm-Sprag-Clutch-One-Way-Bearing-with-Internal-&-External-Keyways-25x52x15mm/product_info.html
> --
> atp

I probably paid about $10 for it, as scrap metal, from a CAT scan machine.
I remember the scrap yard guys rolling their eyes as I carried it out of
there. Junk collector....

I don't know if it could run faster with the correct drive. Maybe back EMF
would be a problem? I would like 7000 RPM, but I don't think a 10:1 setup
is practical.
And surely it's rated 700RPM for a reason. I doubt the magnets are going to
fly apart, so what would that reason be?

The irony is that I've just got myself a scrapped CNC mill with a missing
spindle drive motor, that's why my attention was back on that motor.
This is a LinuxCNC candidate so I will document/blog the re-build.

The over-drive arrangement would work, but maybe better suited to my lathe.
Direct drive for threading, then step-up to ~ 2000RPM max for turning.