Andy,
Of course a scope here is your friend.  If you don't have one do some simple
tests.
1. Make sure  /RESET and /PDWN are both pulled to +3.3V or 5V  with a resistor.
 The data sheet says these are 5V tolerant to 6V.
2. Make sure the /CS signal is pulled low before you start clocking.
3. Program the Arduino w/o SPI and set each of the outputs MOSI and CLK to be
Low and then high.  Measure with a meter to make sure they match the spec sheet
voltages.
4. But if you don't have a scope try each of the modes for SPI.
5. Forget about the A/D initially and program the General Purpose I/O pins to
have values that you can check with a meter or read back the pins to verify you
are addressing and sending data.
John