On Tuesday 25 December 2018 12:21:11 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 12/24/2018 10:03 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 24 December 2018 15:07:59 Jon Elson wrote:
> >>   > The mill is supposed to be here around the 4th. But at
> >>
> >> 55+ kg, how is one man going to unload it?
> >>
> >> It might come in several boxes.
> >
> > I just got another msg from the vendor confirming those measurements
> > are in cm. What in tuncket would make it 94cm tall?
>
> Maybe that is the width?  Didn't look that tall in the pics,
> for sure.  Well, all will become clear when you unbox it.

Yes, its not assembled ack the vendor, so I'll have to build it.

> For mini machines, I have a machine with a rectangular
> column.  I added a ballscrew for the Z axis, and it works
> fairly well,  although the original Y travel is REALLY
> limited, like 4".  But, there are retrofits to get more Y
> travel.  Anyway, that machine is mostly for demos, I use the
> Bridgeport for actual work.  I occasionally drill holes or
> something on the mini.

That sounds about like my little HF, but when I rebuilt it useing the LMS
bigger table kit, I think I wound up with pretty close to 5" of Y, then
lost over an inch when I put the training wheels on the Z. The Y table
hits them when the head is down. Sure makes Z work nice though, no more
stiction. :) If I ever find that bag of balls, I'll try to fix it again.

Not found on ebay these days either. And I have spent some time looking.

But a bag of 500 .0635" balls isn't very big and seems to have found a
good hiding place. Plus this time when I put the nut back in its
carrier, the retainer will get some green locktite and tightened to
about 1/16 turn from stripped, then left for the locktite to cure for a
few days. it worked loose and the backlash was back up to around 10
thou. And tightening it, where its at, will need a custom wrench
invented.

Gotta find a way to keep it tight, and green locktite now looks like
the "how". Gonna take warmer weather though...