On Wednesday 02 January 2019 08:58:27 Marius Liebenberg wrote:

> Gene
> You can configure Mach3 to drive anything on any output pin. It is up
> to the creator of the machine and the BOB that is used.
> You can dump the enable signals and hard wire them to be on all the
> time. The last thing you want is for the machine to have the steppers
> switched of and some axis moved.
>
> Mach3 can drive 6 axis from the parallel port same as LCNC. It's a
> port limitation.
>
> I have replaced the parport on some Mach machines with a 5i25 board
> with the right firmware used to simulate a parport. I cannot remember
> the name of the pin file but I will try and look for it.

That, Marius, I likely have in the 5i25 in that machine right now, so
don't go out of your way in that. I put the card in it a couple years
ago and had forgotten it. So its running on a real parport ATM.

I went back to bed after posting that since the missus wasn't awake yet,
and the first thing I'm going to do is go get the 4 axis box I've been
running the little hf mill with for years. The worst I might have to do
is rearrange the motor coils on the terminal block all the motor cables
hit on the side of that box. Its already set to pound sense into
somewhat bigger nema 23's so I'll only turn the currents down if they
get too hot. That will take care of everything but the spindle, and
there already pwm, dir and a separate enable coming off that bob that I
can wire up to the OEM box when I get tired of running it by hand. I see
this vfd can be set to run from a pwm, and is normally driven from the
relay db25-9 controls, but that bob has no relay. Its a late version of
a CNC4PC C1G, the one that has all the leds for trouble shooting.  I
love that bob, but its priced itself out of the market at $80 so its no
longer made. The next best one is the $18 SainSmart, the only opto's are
the inputs, and they are easily bypassed if you have a high resolution
encoder, which because mine for the G0704, is on the back of the motor,
has a scale of 7000+ in high gear. and over 14,000 in low gear.  And its
plumb amazing how tight the control is now. I can set it in high gear
where the top revs is 3000, to 35 revs, and I cannot stop the spindle by
hand!

However, it appears that this 120 volt vfd, although haveing a more
complex setup with 200 setup points acc the docs I found on it, is not
capable of reverse running! At least theres no reverse callout in the
mach pinout I have. We'll have to see, after makeing the 1st 4 axis's
run and scaled correctly, hopefully by the end of the day. The pitch of
the ball screws is UNK and the sizes vary.

I may have to transplant some code from the G0704's hal file that I used
to determine the spindle scale's there. One possibility anyway, as that
worked really well. Just comment it back out when done but left it that
way for possibly future use.

Probe the length of the ruler from a trysquare with a 1/8" tool, divide
that count by 97 (extra 1/8th for the tool dia), and * 96 and use that
for an axis scale.  That ought to give .001" per foot, provided the
ruler itself is accurate. A purely local std, if you've more than one,
probe them all and average the result. Quick and dirty, and likely as
accurate or better than a dial. And if counting steps, the answer is in
steps. Neat!

And that lack of a reverse is a bummer because I have for yonks, used a
low speed reverse when probing as it guarantees perfect probe
concentricity giving accuracy's well below .001" with any old contact in
the spindle. Doesn't, unless heavily oxidized alu the probe has to hit
hard enough to cut/punch thru, leave a mark on the work.  And thats an
ideal way to locate the work since its going to normally be mounted on
an insulating spoil board anyway on a machine like a 6040. Might have to
step up the probing voltage so it will punch a hole in the oxide better
when its only a micron away. The only provision for edge finding is that
you have to know the probes rad, completely unk when its a wobbly piece
of 10 ga copper sticking out of a teflon holder, so I don't edge find
with that on the g0704, but for locating a hole, it can't be beat. The
disadvantage of coarse is the tool change.

A bridge to be located, identified and crossed, when encountered.

Thank you Marius.  Once again, the conversation has shown me other
potential ways to skin this cat.  From that, I make progress.