Gene wrote:;

 The docs for G92 are a bit hazy, I find that with no arguments, it
still
puts the machines 0,0 at where the machine is ATM, which is not what
needed. Is this intentional?

That would imply G92 X0 Y0 would set Z0 because the command does not
refer to the Z axis. In practice, it doesn't do that. Instead, it
leaves Z unchanged, as we would expect. Or maybe it is a behaviour
which only occurs when there are no specified axes at all? If so,
then, logically, it should set all unmentioned  axes to zero,
including Z, A, B,C, U, V, W  etc. Setting Z to zero by default
might cause a problem or two.Marcus