On 01/14/2019 12:16 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:

Oe of the worst problem is #1.  A files that you don't read very often
gets corrupted.  and then is propagated all over you backup  media.
This takes some thought to prevent.   The ONLY way is versioned backup
-- NEVER overwrite old data with new.
I've been trying to stay ahead of the data explosion by constantly improving backup systems. Right now, I back up to blu-ray discs every couple weeks (Oh, I wish ... OK, every couple months) that are stored in a fire safe. The advantage here is that they are not re-writeable media, so there is saved history if I should need it. And, I back up every couple days to a large spinning hard drive. My live discs are SSDs.

I don't know how long the blu-rays are going to be sufficient, they are already too small to hold everything, so I have to do it in sections.

Jon