On 16.02.19 11:47, Andy Pugh wrote:

> > On 16 Feb 2019, at 09:21, Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> >
> > as lb/in^2 isn't right
>
> It can be, if you measure oil consumption in slugs.

True ... but then a slug is lbf s^2 / ft, and I have enough trouble with
those venerable units without resorting to the wriggly ones.

> We use hPa a lot at work. It annoys me.
> In fact the same software in various places uses hPa, kPa, MPa, bar, psi and
> inches of mercury!

But we freely use ohm, kilohm, and megohm to avoid superfluous
zeroes. Similarly, 1 hPa is immediately recognisable as 1 millibar,
given that a bar is 1e5 Pa. None of hPa, kPa, MPa, bar do anything other
than move the decimal point, providing notational shorthand. I will
admit that Aussies are slow to adopt the cm, using only mm and meter, so
a door is 2040 mm, not just 204 cm. Give it another generation, perhaps.

I am though old enough that my tire inflation is gauged in psi. But the
design of the concrete slab for my off-grid build is specified in MPa.
That makes life easy as I know my machine masses in kg and their base
areas in m².

The only unit which annoys me is the basispoint, used in finance to
shift the decimal point two digits ... er, like hPa.

Erik