I currently run an old South Western industries mill with a Trak CNC 2. Very
old machine but I use it daily and it pays my bills. Has done for the past 15
years and it was old when I got it.

There was a chat a few weeks back on Chinese CNC controllers and a search on
Aliexpress gave
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/highly-cost-effective-4-axis-cnc-milling-controller-for-cnc-machinery-with-ATC-and-PLC/32858562385.html

For the price, it looks very good and will do most of my full CNC work,
however most of my work is jobbing and it wont do what I want.

The SWI has a conversation mode. I can center on a part using the DRO and the
hand wheels, I then create an Absolute Zero. From then on I can do Bolt Holes,
pockets, circles etc using that absolute zero as the reference. On top of that
when I do a pocket, it asks for the tool diameter and it does all the tool
compensation while performing the operation. It is a tool makers best option.

I think there are some caned cycles in Linux CNC but doing a google search on
youtube does not bring up much at all. Can you run Linux CNC operations
without any G code? I don't have a problem with G-Code, but entering a frame
in conversational mode is, X0=0 Y0=0, X3=100 Y3=50, Finish cut 0.5 mm, Feed
250 mm/m and cutter 10 mm is so easy to do.

Thanks Wallace.