On 03/22/2019 07:39 AM, andy pugh wrote:
A recent (ish) acquisition was an NSK Megatorque (RS1010, which means
10" dia and 10" long)
This is rated at 147Nm (108 lb f) torque and for an axial load of
9500N (2100lbf) so is quite a beast.
Currently I am using it as a glorified protractor to calibrate a Faro arm. :-)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/J3yhuhQ7e2vbjDLg8
It has a very high-count encoder, thought he serial terminal connected
to the drive only reports angle to 0.01 degrees.

The motor is an odd shape, the output flange is a ring, and there is a
static tube inside that. Looking around on the web I found:
https://forum.strojirenstvi.cz/viewtopic.php?t=21057
Which rather explains the odd shape. It seems to be a motor with two
sets of coils.

There is a toothed rotor rather like a stepper motor, with a toothed
inner stator.

Is this a variable reluctance motor? Do the outer magnets simply
magnetise the rotor, or would there be more teeth on the outside?

Does it have magnets? Or, by "outer magnets" do you mean the outer coils? Yes, it certainly is some sort of variable reluctance motor. I think I can just barely make out in the

strojirenstvi

picture that there is a vernier sort of relationship between the inner and outer teeth.
How many phases does it have for stator and rotor?

Jon