Maybe the main issue is the medium used, if you are saying that? It forces
the users to make a choice.
Top or bottom posting is not an issue in Whatsapp because it places the
reader at the pertinent point, and appends at bottom.

So Gmail, for example, should have a per-mailbox option of 'literal' or
'conversational'

For my general inbox I would choose literal, and mail would show as is. For
conversational, Gmail only need to keep a 16 value of the last line number
visited (per message), and go there everytime I open that topic.