From: Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 2:23 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC) <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] possibly good news for LinuxCNC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 13:30:07 -0400
> From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] possibly good news for LinuxCNC
>
> On Monday 22 April 2019 11:48:58 Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Apr 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 10:58:01 -0400
>>> From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
>>> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>>> Subject: [Emc-users] possibly good news for LinuxCNC
>>>
>>> Maybe this will be the icing on the cake for LinuxCNC to make the
>>> jump to 3.0?
>>>
>>> <https://linux.slashdot.org/story/19/04/21/1939201/linux-52-will-int
>>> roduce-the-fieldbus-subsystem>
>>>
>>> Hopefully this will re-introduce real time control to a 64 bit
>>> kernel.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene Heskett
>>> --
>>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>>> Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
>>
>> Umm, I've been running real time 64 bit Linux (Preempt-RT) for about
>> 7 years...
>>

> Then why do we not have an installable 64 bit based .iso on the
> downloads page our site points to?  Seems to me if we had one, it
> would be there just for bragging rights. The 64 bit stuff is labeled
> simulation only.
> Not for machine control.

The closest currently is the LinuxCNC + 2.7.14 Stretch ISO here:

http://www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

Though for X86 its pretty easy to build a Preempt-RT kernel (even a very new
5.xx kernel for new hardware support) and run linuxCNC on most Debian based
distributions (I have it running on Ubuntu 18.04, Mint 18, Mint 19, Debian
Stretch, Debian Wheezy, BunsenLabs Linux ATM)

> I've also noted that anything for the my pi has done a vanishing act
> also, no updates for my pi driven Sheldon lathe in months now.  There
> are video driver updates I could use from raspian, but I'd have to
> unpin the kernel and let it install a non-realtime kernel to use them.
> So I'm stuck with a very old copy of master on the Sheldon. Its
> running moderately well if after every reboot, I call up the
> keyboard/mouse configurator and slow the keyboard repeat down below
> 15/sec, otherwise it bombards the i/o with a 250+ a sec keyboard
> repeat, and that causes all sorts is missed keyup events. until thats
> slowed down.  Then it generally runs well till the next power bump.

I haven't noticed any KB issues with our RPI test machine (its been running
24/7 with a SPI interfaced 7C80 since last July, it _was_ neccesary to enable
hardware OpenGL or the backplot was dreadfully slow...

>> Peter Wallace
>> Mesa Electronics

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --