The low volts significantly raise the cost.  I remember buying wire (some
years ago) for a system on my sailboat and paying $5 per foot.

OK, I just looked up the cost of wire that is suitable for a 4KW low volt
system.  Home Depot sells a 12 foot run of black and red #0 wire for $93.
That is less then what I paid but the quality is not as good.   And then
the size of the bus bars and the switches and fuses is also huge.   Every
time you double the volts you about cut the cost of the parts in half.
until you get to about 400 to 500 volts and then you can use normal house
wiring.

Electrocution risk?   We assume you are a skilled electrician or can afford
to hire one.   And then after installation, the ENTIRE system is inside a
grounded metal cabinet that is locked.   You don't leave something like
this on a bench with wires exposed.

As it turns out for tiny system of a few KW the cost is low no matter what
you do.  But if the goal is to power an entire house then you have to
design carefully to contain the cost.

You find that it is hard to buy the parts for the price of a Power Wall.
In fact, you can't unless to luck into some one-time deal with salvaged
parts

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 8:26 AM Nicklas Karlsson <
nicklas.karlsso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 May 2019 13:07:51 -0400
> Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There are some good reasons to use a 24 or 48 volt DC bus power system
> > for smaller systems.
> > The chance of electrocution is pretty low for a 48 volt DC system in a
> > dry environment.
> > Once you get above 50 volts or so things change.
>
> Yes stay below 50 volts is good for electrocution but fire may be a
> problem for higher power since current must be higher.
>
> 48 volt I think is standard in telecom and some electric fork lifts or
> similar use it.
>

> > 24 volts is quite a practical voltage level for smaller systems.
>
> Have nothing to say against it.
>
> > Do a search for 24 volt inverters and you will find many.   48 volt, not
> > as many.
> >
> > I'm thinking hunting cabin, small cottage, larger boat, remote shed, etc.
> >
> > Now if you want to do your entire house and have typical house loads it
> > seems like a 120V+ DC bus system would make more sense.
>
> For entire house standard voltage is probably the solution but if there
> are high power loads with a rectifier choosing same or diode voltage drop
> above this might be a good choice.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California