I've used the 2.2 KW water cooled Chinese spindle with good success for
a few years.  As Danny mentioned, the power at low RPM isn't very good.
The largest cutter I use for machining is 1/4" and it's usually 1/8" or
less, but I do use a 1.125" mortising bit to level the spoil board and
it seems to tolerate that fairly well at a medium RPM (tradeoff between
power and spindle wear from a heavier and larger diameter unbalanced
cutter).

The electrical connection on top is a four pin DIN style connector but
the quality isn't great.  It works OK but before I used pliers to
tighten the knurled collar more than hand tight, it worked loose.
Nothing was harmed other than blowing a fuse on the VFD when something
shorted, and of course if broke another one of those $35 1/16" Onsrud
carbide O flute cutters.

The 8mm tubing connectors are a bit low quality too but I used good
quality highly flexible tubing and tightened the compression fittings to
the Gene Standard (1/8th of a turn less than breaking) and haven't had
any problems.

The bearings were a pleasant surprise.  Spinning the unpowered spindle
by hand is smoooooooth.  It feels nicer than the spindle on megabuck
machine tools.  They advertise German bearings.  I had assumed that
"German" was a company in the Guangdong province, but maybe not.

If the spindle met your torque requirements over your RPM range, my
biggest concern in your application would be keeping grinding grit out
of the spindle bearings.

At the price of the spindle and VFD combos on eBay, you could buy a
spare spindle and bearing and still be many bucks ahead.  The Chinese
water cooled spindles are not the highest overall quality, but in my
experience, it's got it where it counts and the value is hard to beat.
For a CNC router, it's a lot better than bolting on a woodworking router
IMO.