On Thursday 11 July 2019 00:11:33 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Well.  Not the best in the world. And lots of false starts as much due
> to CAM management and G-Code generation.  But the limit switch holders
> for the Y axis are done.  LinuxCNCwith one parallel port, two HP_UHU
> Servo drives, one Gecko Knee Stepper drive.   The HB04 Pendant made
> this a lot easier.
>
> Now to figure out how to mount a Knee Home Switch.
>
> And properly configure a tool table with the tool heights.
>
> John Dammeyer

Those look pretty darned solid John, better than any I've done, but I am
usually more space constained too. My new 6040 gantry's y home is a jury
rig if there ever was one, and subject to whatever overtravel up to
about 1/16" before the gantry crashes.  So I have the switch, a teeny
pushbutton mounted with about 10 thou of button travel, mounted on a
1/16" thick 2.5" length of alu about 3/8" wide, bolted to the front face
of the bed so the switch hangs out past the bed facing to the rear, with
a 4-40 screw planted in the face of the gantry edge to push it. The
boltdown screws are a long inch away from the switch, allowing the alu
to flex about 1/8" without permanent deformation after the switch is
bottomed. With the 4-40 screw set for the length of stickout to keep it
from crashing, I can feel the mount flex as it homes, but cannot see it.
I've std roller micros in other places. With 5 dollars a bag of ten
switches, repeatability is well under a thou all around. I'm pleased,
which is what counts. Limits are set in the .ini file, about 50 thou
from crashing at the other end of the range.

I may replace the z motor yet, all of them are very small nema 23's, and
with the weight of the spindle motor on the z sled, lift speed is
restricted to about 1/3 the maxvel of the x and y dirs, currently set at
about 190"/minute.

No labels on the motors, and no data on the dip switch settings of the
tb6560 drivers I took out, so motor currents are set in the low 2's
based on motor heating. I replaced that whole control box since I was
unable to even get a full translation of the Chinese manual out of
googles translator. So it now has a quad of 2m542's that used to drive
my hf mill. and a clone 1.5 horse 120 volt vfd.  Runs either direction.
But if I use tool contact to set tlo with a g38.2, I have to clip a
ground onto the tool. Too much of that grey epoxy paint to get a ground
anyplace. Even the motor to spindle doesn't reliably get thru the
spindles bearings.

Thanks John.

 - Louis D. Brandeis