On Sat, 17 Aug 2019, John Dammeyer wrote:

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 14:15:14 -0700
From: John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
To: "'Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)'" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] MESA 7i92H Saga

Alright.

Installed the newest LiveCD Stretch version replacing the Wheezy in the office.
 Has no problem interfacing to my 192.168.0.1 router.  However using the
network tools dialogs adding a second IP like 192.168.1.125 doesn't work.  On
my WIN-7 system I added a second IP group with a value 192.168.126 and it has
no trouble pinging the mesa card at 192.168.1.121. The mesa is plugged into one
of the network switches on the main network.  This also worked on the Wheezy
system where I could select which network IP I wanted active and then I could
also ping the mesa from the LinuxCNC box.

Next step.  Remove the network cable to the switch.  Plug the mesa directly
into the now Stretch version LinuxCNC box.  Reboot the LinuxCNC system.  Now I
can ping the mesa from the LinuxCNC system.  Of course I no longer have
internet access on that system.  8-(

But the MESA is alive!

Next step, run LinuxCNC selecting the MESA version.

Crap!

hm2_eth: ERROR: Failed to execute '/sbin/sysctl -q
net.ipv6.conf.eth0:avahi.disable_ipv6=1'

and then Debug info.

hm2_eth: ERROR: Failed to execute '/sbin/sysctl -q net.ipv6.conf.eth0:avahi.disable_ipv6=1' Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...

There are some major network issues with this box. That what is trivial in WIN-7 for accessing both network groups doesn't work on the Stretch version. That plugging in the ipv4 network causes complaints with the ipv6.

Oh and with the mesa plugged in, it does the usual timeout looking for the network before it finishes booting.

What's the simple step by step configuration needed to make this work? What other debugging information is required?

Thanks
John

I would get a USB <--> Ethernet or USB <--> WIFI dongle for internet, otherwise
you are pretty much doing things the hard way

You current (avahi etc) issues are basically because you have not setup the realtime Ethernet port with a static IP address as suggested in the hm2_eth man page

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)