> > Thanks Peter,
> > I've got pulses coming out the Spindle Pins on connector P1.
> > While snooping with the scope and looking at the generated signals I've
> run into an issue.  I haven't looked at any other axis but the following
> information has to do with the X axis.  The attached screen shot shows the
> pulses as I let off on the jog button for the X axis.
> >
> > Scope trigger is on the direction signal (blue trace) falling edge.
> > Notice after the 2uS step pulses (yellow trace) have stopped the direction
> signal changes 3 times.
> > Why?
>
> This has to do with the stepgen control loop having much greater
> resolution than a single step so tiny corrections may change the
> direction (though timing is always obeyed). It may also have to do with PID
> setup.

It doesn't appear to do any harm since the step lines are stable.  But it's odd
and very repeatable in either direction.   The direction signal always returns
to + direction regardless of the jog direction.   The attached screen shot show
a 0.001" move in the negative direction with exactly 15 steps which matches
motor encoder and 3:1 pulley and 5 TPI lead screw.

I'll temporarily remove the limit switches, backlash and run a short G-Code
program that moves 0.001 and then -0.001" and capture the direction signal.
Very curious.

> > I'm also seeing occasional joint 0 following errors when I change direction
> which is what prompted putting the scope on the signals.  It's open loop
> step/dir with no encoder feedback so something is not quite right.
> >

> try commenting out these lines (for all axis)
>
> net x-vel-cmd       =>  pid.x.command-deriv
> setp   pid.x.maxerror .0005

This didn't make any difference.  What does fix it is disabling BACKLASH.  And
that led me to the STEPGEN_MAXACCEL set too low.  Initial testing didn't have
backlash enabled so the 25% increase in STEPGEN_MAXACCEL was more than
adequate.  But with backlash enabled it broke.  Should really follow the
comments in there.  Turns out on the actual machine with the parallel port I
did have STEPGEN_MAXACCEL set to just over 100% larger.

> originally created by pncconfig.  Should not
> > setp   hm2_7i92.0.stepgen.00.control-type     1
> > be control-type 0?
> >

> No, needs to be 1

So what does it need to be for the spindle then?

The tutorial suggests stepgen is type 0 for step/dir and "ctrl_type" type v for
velocity.

I haven't found the details on "control-type" in a document yet.
 hm2_7i92.0.stepgen.05.control-type
Perhaps I overlooked it somewhere?

loadrt stepgen step_type=0,0 ctrl_type=v,v