Ok,  that seems to be working now, even in stepconf (wonder what was going on there).

I have the mill working (sort of), I can make the XYZ axes work, that is, I can

jog them in stepconf (the axis moves one step every time I click one of the green arrows, I

expected it to continuously move)

The lathe I don't have working on h eother port yet, wonder if maybe something is wrong there.

(the spindles are not running,  but that might be because I forgot to do the wiring for that, when I built the new cables.

I have an issue saving the second/mill configuration though, here's what I get:

Stepconf encountered an error.  The following information may be useful in troubleshooting:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/stepconf/pages.py", line 82, in on_button_fwd_clicked
    self['%s_finish'%name]()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/stepconf/pages.py", line 720, in finished_finish
    self.a.buid_config()
  File "/usr/bin/stepconf", line 781, in buid_config
    self.d.save(base)
  File "/usr/bin/stepconf", line 676, in save
    os.symlink(base,shortcut)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

thanks,

Ron.