On Friday 24 January 2020 16:00:06 Brent Loschen wrote:

> I currently power a 7i76 from the 5i25/cable, and am wondering if it's
> OK to power the Spindle + and - (TB4 pins 1 and 3) using that 5v
> source, or if it requires a separate 5v supply?  If current draw from
> the cable is no problem, are there any other drawbacks to using that
> 5v source? (i.e. noise, stability, etc.)  And finally, Spindle + and -
> pins appear to be isolated from the rest of the card, and it seems
> like I should connect Spindle - to 5v neutral regardless of which 5v I
> use.  Do I have that right? (it will be connected to a VFD with 0-5
> input requirement)
>
> Thanks,
> Brent

No. Those 3 terminals are an isolated electronic resistor intended to
replace a manual speed potentiometer controlling a vfd, using the vfd's
own 10 volt supply to the + and its ground reference to the -.  That
generally is totally isolated from the rest of the world in a vfd
control world.

This is all explained well in the 7i76 manual.

It can also control one of the Pico pwm-servo amps for dc spindle motors,
but you need to invert (IIRC) the enable line between the spindle enable
out and the pwm-servo amp.  And can do that control much faster than a
spinx1 as the pwm-servo amp can also be controlled by a dc voltage
input.

For that, and most of those dc motors, like the one on the G0704, are 90
volt motors rated to use 9.7 amps at 1 hp full load. My dc supply makes
126 volts and can do 20+ amps. With the pwm-servo set for a 17 amp peak,
i'm getting considerably more than that 1 horse by the time I hear the
current limiter kick in but normal cutting load is under 3 amps.  Its
been doing that for around 4 years now with no indication of impending
trouble.

 - Louis D. Brandeis