On Mon, 27 Jan 2020, John Dammeyer wrote:

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 14:02:12 -0800
From: John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
To: "'Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)'" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] MESA 7i92H hiccup

So I guess two questions.
1. If it happens again what type of diagnostics can I generate to see what
was happening under the covers.
2. Is there a way to clear it without opening up the cabinet and removing 5V
from the 7i92H (I guess a system power cycle would do that too without
opening the cabinet).

Thanks
John Dammeyer

My first guess would be a damaged I/O pin on the 7I92H (so marginal levels)

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

Your suggesting mechanical? Not some sort of odd glitch that might occur in firmware?

Yes, either electrical damage to the I/O or perhaps a mechanical (connector/wiring) issue

A firmware bug is unlikely since you are not getting a following error which means the hardware stepgen is getting the right commands and its position count is correct. The hardware past the stepgen position count to the step/dir outputs is pretty trivial so not much room for a bug there.

So if it happens again I'll put a scope on it. It's also possible the cable from the 7i92H has issues and flexing it while cycling the power plug but things back. But the cable into the 7i92H hasn't been removed for a while. It's always the DB-25 end into the BoB that's used. But again could be cable.

In either case, is there a software way to reset it?

Yes, you can use mesaflash to do this:

mesaflash --device 7i92 --addr xx.xx.xx.xx --reset

I've got the bits and pieces to make a new cable that is the exact right length
so I'll do that later this week.

Thanks
John Dammeyer

Peter Wallace