I have a 64G sd card in the reader with a raspbian buster full install on
it. I would assume that the first, boot partition is dos or vfat for its
filesystem.

I have a realtime build of 4.19.100-rt41 that I am trying to write to
this cards /boot partition. If with mc, running as root, attempts to
copy a file, I get a no-perms popup, but the file is now showing in the
right pane, renamed with a * added as first character. But if its a
directory, the directory is created anyway but is empty. cd into that
dir on both panes and try to copy a file, I get the no-perms, but the
file is copied anyway, but renamed with an asterisk as an added first
character.  And theres nearly 1900 files to copy and fix the names.

dosfsck says its fine, and mc says the perms on all files are all owned
by root:root, perms 40755.  I own all the files with the same 40755
perms that I'm trying to put on this supposed vfat partition since I did
the makes on the pi4. du says he src dir is 12 megs.

fdisk -l /dev/sdf says:
Device     Boot  Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdf1         8192   532479   524288  256M  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdf2       532480 13303807 12771328  6.1G 83 Linux

What is going on?

Thanks.

 - Louis D. Brandeis