On Wednesday 12 February 2020 14:52:38 David Berndt wrote:

> Not directly glue advise. But gear tooth sensor advise. Don't let the
> heads of those things rip off and go through my gear head mill's bevel
> gear teeth. Not pretty. No teeth broke but there is a surprising
> amount of quite hard metal in the middle of something like an Allegro
> ATS675 it seems. The gears were nowhere near silent before, but
> they're louder now for the experience.

They all contain a super strength for its size, ferrite based bias
magnet, and its close to diamond in hardness. I'm not surprised it
damaged the teeth that crushed it. Given enough time they will probably
wear back silent. Might be measured in years though.

Some of the resultant powder could be removed in an ultrsonic cleaner but
it would have to be a strong one, with a magnet in the bottom to collect
the magnetic dust before it sticks to the gear again.

> -Dave
>
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 13:27:48 -0500, Gene Heskett
> <ghesk...@shentel.net>
>
> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I went tp play with the lathe after reboot the rpi4 with cpu_freq
> > raised to 800 megs.
> >
> > All of a sudden the spindle tach got noisy, then quit. removeing the
> > heads lid, I could see a good coat of the 5w20 I've been useing for
> > spindle oil had flung out of the inside face of the bronze bearing
and
> > given my encoder assembly a good coat of it.
> >
> > Removeing it for a better look I found 2 of the 667's loose with
> > signs of the bull gear touching them, with one having vibrated
> > enough to break its wraping wire connections. They were glued into
> > pockets machined in the mounting bracket which if the glue worked
> > had them spaced about 5 thou away from the bull gear in a curved alu
> > bracket made of of 7075 scrap. I've made a wooden c clamp with a #6
> > wood screw which is currently sitting with the point of the screw in
> > the middle of the face of the loose index generating 667 after the
> > alu was well washed by acetone and then filling its pocket in the
> > bracket with shoe goop, same stuff as go-2.  And tomorrow I'll do
> > the same with the other.
> >
> > Cleaned up with acetone of course.
> >
> > Previous attempts to glue then in place with super glue were very
> > short lived, loose in a week.  Ditto with gelled super glue.
> >
> > The go-2 lasted about 2 years.
> >
> > What sort of glue can I use that can withstand an oily environment
> > of light 00w20 for many years?
> >
> > Thanks all.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

"There are four boxes to be used in def+ense of liberty:
 - Louis D. Brandeis