Pretty nice job Sam. I'm testing something similar while I'm finishing to
configure the machine I plan to intall in a few days on the Mazak. My goal
is to turn low lift camshafts (6.5 mm maximum for now, although 9 mm
shouldn't be a problem if the tool has enough relief).

Here's a video of a test I made a few weeks ago using lowpass filter as
Peter suggested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzokOz8uG7M

The problem I encountered with lowpass filter is that as I increased the
gain I startes loosing some lift so I'm only using a little bit to slightly
smooth the signal. In the video I'm using a 1024 CPR simulated encoder but
I only exported the cam profile with 64 control points. After that I
exported the same cam but with 512 points and the result was a lot
smoother.

Anyway, I'm still struggling with the component I made since I can't use it
with a stepper PIDed configuration without crashing the kernel. I'm using
the classic stepgen config and it seems to work ok.