> I don’t know what the dressing system looks like, but if it’s motorized in
> both axis( cut depth and motion across the wheel) then why don’t you touch
> off the dressing point? You could do an initial homing when machine starts,
> and again after each dressing operation. Use the info to determine dressing
> point depth of cut and also to infer actual wheel diameter. You could also
> use it to catch the event of a diamond point being knocked loose, and alarm
> the operator.

Hello Thaddeus,

The machine doesn't have an independent wheel dresser so I plan to mount
the dresser on the right hand corner of the tailstock way. It has enough
room for this.

Actually we're doing what you suggest with the grinder that we have driven
by LCNC. But this one uses a master to shape the lobes to be machined, so
we only need to know the diameter of the part being ground. The problem I
see with only touching the wheel in one point, is that I need an exact
reference of the center of rotation of the wheel and I don't know if in
practice that's possible for me.

I don't understand the part about knowing the event of a diamond being
detached from the dressing tool. Please correct me if I don't understand
you well.