On Friday 27 March 2020 02:53:03 theman whosoldtheworld wrote:

> Hi
>
> They are read only.
>
> The FEATURES=12 or whatever gives you access to the values, but you
> cannot change them, that would be the Holy Grail.
>
> If the pin can be written to, you can do it from a user M code
>
> halcmd setp <pinname> value type thing
>
> Whether it is linked and what type of pin it is is going to determine
> if it can be written
>
> regards
>
> (by ArcHye ....  with AndyPugh some years ago teach me about thse)
>
> plus on g code     #<_hal[pinname]>

Great minds, I just thought of adding a module, putting it in the correct
place in the addf order & feeding it from hal but using its output in
the gcode. That syntax '#<_hal[pinname]>' may be the key to the
backwards path I need to actually make it work.

And a debug statement is all it will take to prove its working.  But that
also means the loading of the module will have to be moved out of the
postgui.hal to the initial loadrt's and addf's so that the modules
output exists at the hal scan time, else the error is that the pin
doesn't exist. I can sort that I think as geany's copy/paste is I think,
global.  I think I may have already done that as postgui.hal is
all 'net' statements:
net     showdist1       <= scale-ovrtrvl.out => ovrtrvl-scaler-mux.in1
net     display-mode    <= units.G21 => ovrtrvl-scaler-mux.sel
setp    scale-ovrtrvl.gain 25.400000
# here, use a scale and a mux2 to select the scale.in for inches, or the
scale.out
# for a mm's conversion.

So in the gcode:
#<-z_depth> = [#< _hole_depth> - #<_hal[ovrtrvl-scaler-mux.out]>]

Which will subtract the overtravel from the gcode var that sets the
ultimate depth of the hole.  And it should  be a value less for the peck
increment than this.  And I could warn if the peck increment was greater
than the over travel, which would setup a crash anyway situation.

Thank you very much.

Once I get both eyes open for the day. I'll test it. At 07:17 and only
two sips of cold coffee, no bets.

> *is this what you need? did I get it right? *
>
> regards and good luck with your work
>

> Il giorno gio 26 mar 2020 alle ore 22:47 Gene Heskett
> <ghesk...@shentel.net>
>
> ha scritto:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have some code in my Sheldon's hal file that accepts a value from
> > gcode, #<_tpmm> or #<_tpi> that twiddles that value shipped across
> > motion and then shows me via a pyvcp text box, the numerical
> > distance value of the overshoot from inertia between the initiance
> > of the reverse at the bottom of the g33.1 and the actual maximum
> > overshoot before it gets stopped, which with an 8" 40 lb chuck
> > mounted can exceed 3 turns at 300 rpms to slow and get the first 1.5
> > degrees of the reverse done.
> >
> > Works good but atm doesn't autoconvert metric/imperial. Thats a
> > relatively minor detail involving the units module. and a sum2.
> >
> > Now what I want to do is ship that derived value back from hal to
> > the gcode side of motion, so I can decrease the g33.1 depth and
> > automatically adjust it to prevent the taps breakage from hitting
> > the bottom of the hole.
> >
> > How can I do that backwards data transfer? The M6# codes don't seem
> > to fit this.
> >
> > Thanks all.
> > .
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

 - Louis D. Brandeis