I see this tread circling around the same issue as the one after I posted my comments on this subject matter when I was exploring possible options for new CNC machine.

On 2020-04-19 10:12, René Hopf via Emc-users wrote:
Hi,
For reasons I dont understand, many people prefer to use extremely legacy
hardware to run linuxcnc.
the hardware list in the wiki is extremely outdated, and there is no real
recommendation on what to buy currently.

Tell me about it. Threads in the past few months will tell you how much beating I was taking for bringing up related annoying issue with need for testing motherboards for suitability with RT kernel, etc.

just for fun I tried to run it on modern hardware, and it worked really
well.
I used a Pentium Gold G5400 on a rog strix h370 mainboard(dual ethernet),
booting from nvme.
64 bit, and efi boot, you cant legacy boot from nvme.
I tried the 4.19 and 5.4.19 rt preempt kernel from the debian repo.
both get extremely good latency of 1500-10000 ns, depending on bios
settings and kernel args.
but even the defaults are fine.
I tried on a few other non-legacy PCs, and could not find a single one that
doesnt work well with rt preempt.

That's great. Trouble is not everybody can afford or have means to test different platforms these days when you need to buy most of this stuff from the Internet.

HW architecture needs to be taken into consideration in any case. What good is it to run LinuxCNC on multi-CPU and multi-core boards when only a fraction of it is actually used for CNC functionality?

Mix of GUI and RT on the same SBC is just not a good idea. Yet, some will argue about it again and again.

Those who want to use old junk just use old junk. I'm sure that this kind of messages or threads turn potential manufacturers, small or large (?), away from LinuxCNC.

imho rt preempt is the future, as it is maintained, and you can get modern
kernels with it.

just trying to kill the rumor that linuxcnc doesnt work on new PCs.

Rene

Thanks,

--
Rafael