On 29/04/2020 17:48, John Dammeyer wrote:
Yes. Up until recently micro-stepper drives ran 10:1 but now they can do 256:1
although the jury is out on whether anything past 10:1 is useful.  But that's a
different discussion.

The drivers I use have always had 128:1 but I've never found anything over 8:1 of use if one is continually switching direction. As you say it is a different discussion, but having now got a ballscrew build of the taig mill in the workshop it's one I need to return to. A 20tpi leadscrew with 4:1 stepping gives fairly reliable 1/16thou steps while at 8:1 one you can measure the spread of the step sizes. That said, both give a visible improvement to surface finish when working on jewellery over the original half stepping controller. With the pitch of the ballscrew at 3mm just how does one get the fine step size back ... does the much lower backlash provide enough gain, given that it can be catered for and managed on the 20tpi leadscrew. Time to look at the 0.9deg motors? They are pushing up to the power that the the first taig machines were shipped with ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL