On Saturday 09 May 2020 23:25:42 andrew beck wrote:

> hey guys
>
> getting a bit stuck here and it is the same issue as this old email so
> I thought I would answer it and see what you guys think
>
> I have a standard Hal and ini file generated from Pncconf for a 5i25
> and 7i76 combo.
>
> just trying to connect my encoder and graph the following error in
> Halscope.
>
> all I want to do at the moment is use Halscope to allow me to manually
> tune my servo drive parameters.  (I will not be tuning inside linuxcnc
> at the moment that will have to wait until my new mesa cards come
>
> Can someone please advise what hal and ini stuff needs to be changed
> to get my feedback into halscope
>
> regards
>
> Andrew
>

> I have just connected my x axis encoder to my spindle

For what purpose?

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 7:01 AM Ed W <li...@wildgooses.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I've made good progress converting my little OmioCNC X6 from
> > Mach3 to LinuxCNC. I think I owe a writeup at some point, but I
> > still have a few glitches before I'm ready to do that.
> >
> > First thing which I'm worrying about is that having run pncconf, it
> > generates an output for my open loop steppers which involves a PID
> > type setup, eg here is my X axis from the ini

PID's are optional for microstepped steppers. I have 2 lathes, one
running with and one w/o. Both work well. My 6040 is running well w/o
PID's. My GO704 has them.  They are needed with servo's as thats what
drives the servo's to a null, no error position. PID are useful IF you
have feedback from glass scales or separate encoders on the motors,
basicly treating the stepper as a servo, and the better motor kits today
are moving in that direction.

> [...]
> >     MAX_OUTPUT = 0.0
> >     # these are in nanoseconds
> >     DIRSETUP   = 10000
> >     DIRHOLD    = 10000
> >     STEPLEN    = 5000
> >     STEPSPACE  = 5000
> >     STEP_SCALE = 320.0
> >     MIN_LIMIT = -0.01
> >     MAX_LIMIT = 355.0
> >     HOME_OFFSET = -5.000000
> >     HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -33.333333
> >     HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.500000
> >     HOME_FINAL_VEL = 33.333333
> >     HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
> >     HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
> >     HOME_SEQUENCE = 1
> >

> > The corresponding .hal (again by pncconf) is as follows:
> >

> >     #*******************
> >     #  AXIS X JOINT 0
> >     #*******************
> >
> >     setp   pid.x.Pgain     [JOINT_0]P
> >     setp   pid.x.Igain     [JOINT_0]I
> >     setp   pid.x.Dgain     [JOINT_0]D
> >     setp   pid.x.bias      [JOINT_0]BIAS
> >     setp   pid.x.FF0       [JOINT_0]FF0
> >     setp   pid.x.FF1       [JOINT_0]FF1
> >     setp   pid.x.FF2       [JOINT_0]FF2
> >     setp   pid.x.deadband  [JOINT_0]DEADBAND
> >     setp   pid.x.maxoutput [JOINT_0]MAX_OUTPUT
> >     setp   pid.x.error-previous-target true
> >     setp   pid.x.maxerror .0005
> >
> >     net x-index-enable  <=> pid.x.index-enable
> >     net x-enable        =>  pid.x.enable
> >     net x-pos-cmd       =>  pid.x.command
> >     net x-pos-fb        =>  pid.x.feedback
> >     net x-output        <=  pid.x.output
> >
> >     # Step Gen signals/setup
> >
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.dirsetup        [JOINT_0]DIRSETUP
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.dirhold         [JOINT_0]DIRHOLD
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.steplen         [JOINT_0]STEPLEN
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.stepspace       [JOINT_0]STEPSPACE
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.position-scale  [JOINT_0]STEP_SCALE
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.step_type        0
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.control-type     1
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.maxaccel [JOINT_0]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.maxvel [JOINT_0]STEPGEN_MAXVEL
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.step.invert_output   true
> >     setp   hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.direction.invert_output   true
> >
> >     # ---closedloop stepper signals---
> >
> >     net x-pos-cmd    <= joint.0.motor-pos-cmd
> >     net x-vel-cmd    <= joint.0.vel-cmd
> >     net x-output     <= hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.velocity-cmd
> >     net x-pos-fb     <= hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.position-fb
> >     net x-pos-fb     => joint.0.motor-pos-fb
> >     net x-enable     <= joint.0.amp-enable-out
> >     net x-enable     => hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.00.enable
> >
> >     # ---setup home / limit switch signals---
> >
> >     net min-home-x     =>  joint.0.home-sw-in
> >     net min-home-x     =>  joint.0.neg-lim-sw-in
> >     net x-pos-limit     =>  joint.0.pos-lim-sw-in
> >

> > What would someone experienced recommend I do here? This is a simple
> > openloop stepper machine, no feedback or position sensors. Just a
> > 6i25 to a basic breakout board, going to a chinese 556 stepper
> > driver clone and onto some small steppers on a 6040 type of machine?
> >
> > Is there any disadvantage (or advantage) to leaving all the PID and

 - Louis D. Brandeis