On 05/21/2020 11:39 AM, John Dammeyer wrote:
This was a year ago but based on the latest fly cutting results I'm getting
slight ridges so either the fly cutter isn't exactly turning a perfect
horizontal arc or I need to tram again.
http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/TrammedVertical.jpg

Tramming the head-spindle to the table surface is not what you want, especially on an older (worn) mill. What I do is have a program that mills a circular path on a piece of scrap. Step down a little at a time until it cuts all the way around. Then, move to the center, and put in the dial indicator and sweep the circle. This allows you to tram to the actual X-Y plane of motion of the machine, which may NOT be parallel to the surface of the table. My 1938 Bridgeport cuts a kind of saddle shape that moves up and down a few thousandths of an inch over about a 7" sweep. This way, I can tram the head to be as close to perpendicular to that as possible.

Jon