On 5/29/20 8:44 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
In this case, openscad gives me the tools I want right now, and I could
even do a set of gears for stage 2 of the reduction since that spacing
is almost too close for a belt coupling. So by using the correct tooth
profiles it could make a very usefull gearset, no belt at all, and a
higher reduction at the same time. But would those teeth be strong
enough. Worth a try IMO. And a swarf cover from the printer should be
doable.

Strength of 3d printed parts is a deep subject.  PLA if done right can be pretty strong, but other filaments done right are stronger.

I like this video showing how a veteran at 3d printing goes about refining his process for printing in nylon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MFX1whwjGg

Here is a video where some guys test out different filaments on a 15 horsepower outboard motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scUEEQyC0GI

Keep in mind, the odor will be much worse using any filament besides PLA, and most will need a hot end that can do the higher temperatures.

Also with higher temperatures you might want to put a box around the printer to keep drafts from messing up a print. One guy uses grow tents around his printers.