I second the motion to try contact cleaner.  I use Caig DeoxIT that i bought from Parts Express. It's a little expansive, but worth every penny!   At my church we had a CD/DVD duplicator that started acting up. I pulled apart all the cable connections and sprayed them and put them back on a few times and it went back to working like normal.  The church building is warm one day a week, and then damp the rest of the time (does that remind you of your shop?) The stuff has a lubricant that's left behind to seal the contact points to keep water and oxygen out.