This fits my budget criteria for sure.

How are the sensors attached?  Are they screwed directly to the steel
housing or is there some kind of plate that all three attach to?

After seeing this I can think of other ways.  For one, the slotted disk
could be printed.

As for the question about if this could work on a 10,000 RPM spindle.  I
think my opinion now is "maybe".  Some optical sensors have a 15 uS rise
and fall time which limits them to about 20KHz but some have a 1uS
rise/fall.  You have to read the specs.   At 10,000 RPM the slot is so
small.  The 15 uS times require cutting maybe 1/4 of the disk away to make
a "slot".  I've seen this and actually own a couple of small motors with 90
degree wide slots and, guess what? These are from the 1990's and spin at
12K RPM.   So optical works at high speed but you have "paddles" and not
disks used for interrupters

You can also gain better high-speed performance with better signal
processing techniques even with poor sensors.

But for over 10K RPM, I'd write the software to simply ignore the
high-resolution pulses and use only the index sensor at the high speeds.

Place the index pulse on the OUTSIDE of the disk by cutting away 180
degrees of the disk and use about 40 holes for the A/B  With 180 degree
wide slot it should work at very high speed.   Just make it balanced.

But in my case the make sped is only 2400 RPM.  I can used off the self
Chinese eBay sensor.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 12:30 PM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 at 19:40, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > My plan is to make the sensor removable with no tools so the user can
> > access the drawbar.
>
> Here is another way to do it. Sadly I don't have a still, and the
> video is out of focus:
> https://youtu.be/ZhICrb0Tbn4?t=22
> But the encoder there is an aluminium top-hat that fits under the
> locknuts then squeezes round them to present teeth for optos.
>
> --
> atp
> "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> lunatics."
> — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1912

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California