If you followed those instructions, the object remained a mesh of triangles
over the whole operation.   But that's OK as the article was explaining STL
file mesh repair.  The repair method is reasonable, they have you import
the STL, make a tiny change then re-export the part as STL and have faith
that FreeCAD makes a good file this time.  It likely will as a cube is an
easy part.

But a true import of that STL would convert the cube back to a cube made of
six squares and turn the text back to text so you could do something like
changing the font.    No software is really good at this and the user has
to do a lot of manual work.

As an experiment try changing the depth of the engraved text on that cube
and you will see right away the difference between a CAD file and the
imported STL.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 8:14 AM Martin Dobbins <tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I had some time on my hands 🙂
>
> I decided to see if Freecad would import an stl.  I followed the
> instructions here:
>
> https://all3dp.com/1/7-free-stl-editors-edit-repair-stl-files/
>
> and used an XYZ calibration cube stl which came from here:
>
> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1278865/files
>
> The person who posted gave a link to how it was done:
>

> https://www.idig3dprinting.co.uk/news/how-to-guides/create-a-3d-printer-calibration-cube-in-freecad/
>
> So, the stl was originally made with Freecad with help from Inkscape.
>
> In my (admittedly naive) hands it seemed to work OK, although I did not
> delve onwards to Step 3 "STL Repair"
>
> Martin

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California