Measure from an arbitrary center to perimeter and calculate from three points. Adjust and remeasure.

On 7/1/20 9:08 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I had to drill a pin hole and drive this backplate with a dead blow
hammer to get it locked to this BS-1 well enough to machine a register
shoulder, but finally got that done although I haven't tested it for fit
yet, but the chucks internal shoulder is 130.06 mm and the register is
now 130.05.

Bolt holes for its 8mm cap screws to mount it are I'd assume at 0, 120,
and 240 degrees.

I'll have to use a 1/4" endmill to drill the holes, which I'll spiral to
make an 8mm hole. No room above it on this mill for anything that looks
like a drill it, I'm only a few mm from the G0704's upper stop.

My problem is getting an accurate diameter for the bolt circle. I can put
the  center of the 1/4" tool at say 4mm from the ledger, and the spiral
till reduce that to around 2.8 mm between the bolthole and the ledger.
That should get it within a mm.

The diameter is quoted at 145 mm, but that would mean using my holefinder
to find the center of a 20 some mm hole in the BS-1.  That would work IF
I can figure out how to get it into the machine with my lack of room.

How do you folks find a center when there is not room enough to use your
regular tools?

Thanks.