On Saturday 04 July 2020 16:43:12 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 07/04/2020 12:54 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 at 18:02, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> >> Attacking HSS with diamond is a waste of time and burns up the
> >> expen$ive diamond.
> >
> > Whilst it is meant to be a terrible idea, in practice it works OK.
>
> I think it depends on surface speed.  If the speed is high
> enough that the sparks are totally white-hot, it will alloy
> with the diamond.  At lower speeds, especially where the
> sparks are barely glowing, it doesn't seem to hurt the
> diamond at all.

IIRC no sparks, 200 or so revs, could just barely hear it touching,
peeled two strips down to the alu about 1/4" wide. Not at all impressed.
Up to that point, I was watching a very thin cloud of steel dust
drifting away in the work light and figured it would get to where it
should be in about half an hour.  I wound up doing it on the bench
grinder with a glass of water to keep from burning my fingers.

> Jon

 - Louis D. Brandeis