Gear tooth shaped end mills would be real handy in many situations, especially
where you need two different sized spur gears on one part, and the smaller one
is too close to the larger one for any conventional sort of rotating gear tooth
cutting tool. In olden times those had to be cut with a linear tool like a
shaper or vertical slotting attachment for a mill. A CNC mill with a 4th axis
can do such work with a ball end mill of diameter smaller than the smallest
width between two teeth, but it's slow, requiring multiple passes to cut both
flanks of each tooth.

An end mill with the full profile could cut in a few straight passes and be
done. Could make a multi-diameter cluster gear from a solid piece by turning
the diameters then milling the teeth up close on each step.

I suggest duplicating the 8 profiles that come with single tooth rotary gear
cutters. Don't leave out 14 DP (especially in 14.5 PA) and 2.5 Module. People
who work on 1940's American and 1980's Asian (especially Indian) equipment
would like those sets.
After WW2 there was apparently some consensus in the machine tool industry that
*nobody* was ever again going to use 14 DP gears. Look on any site selling
stock gears and you'll see they skip 14 DP, except one place in the UK that
claims to have them, but only in 20 PA. If you want 14 DP it's a custom order,
if they'll do it at all. Same goes for 2.5 Module. Somewhere around the late
70's into the 80's, some Asian and Indian companies must have decided 14 DP was
ideal for some of their gears, but they had to keep in Metric and created 2.5
Module. It's >thisclose< to 14 DP 14.5 PA. That seems to have lasted around a
decade before the industry said "No more of this!" and everyone using 2.5 Mod
gears stopped. Nobody anywhere has stock 2.5 Mod gears but some places can make
them to order. Takang is an Indian company that used 2.5 Mod gears in the drive
to the gearbox on their manual lathes. Currently they only make CNC machines
and don't acknowledge ever making manual machines, despite having been one of
the best selling brands in India, with a healthy export business.

    On Thursday, July 23, 2020, 2:07:21 PM MDT, andrew beck