That's cool Andy.  I have done similar all the time.  For external threads
I bought a cheap 3wire set that has a chart with it and gives me all the
calculations I need to use.  It's just one simple formula and it tells me
the closest wire size I should be using.

For internal threads I usually use tig wire.  Most machine shops have a tig
welder and you can bend that and stick it in the bore to measure the
threads.

Method 2 is make a test gauge of what size the part should be (eg male part
in your case a dummy lathe spindle.).   Using thread wires to size the
thread.  And then cut the backplate to that size.

Regards

Andrew