I have one of these.
Fowler 54-575-600 Electronic Edge Finder with Cylindrical Tip, 0.200" Stylus,
1/2" Shank

 I use it with the Shumatech  DRO to find edges or the center of something
round.  The DRO-350 has a feature for that.  Eventually I'll wire up a cable
that can be sensed by LinuxCNC to detect the edge automatically.

It won't help me set up the tool height for a tool table.  I have a bunch of TT
type tooling so eventually I'll need something for detecting where the tool is.
 Probably some sort of spring loaded contact that is a precise distance from
where it's set.

John Dammeyer