> I have one of these.
> Fowler 54-575-600 Electronic Edge Finder with Cylindrical Tip, 0.200" Stylus,
> 1/2" Shank
>
>  I use it with the Shumatech  DRO to find edges or the center of something
> round.  The DRO-350 has a feature for that.  Eventually I'll wire up a cable
> that can be sensed by LinuxCNC to detect the edge automatically.
>
> It won't help me set up the tool height for a tool table.  I have a bunch of
> TT type tooling so eventually I'll need something for detecting where the
> tool is.  Probably some sort of spring loaded contact that is a precise
> distance from where it's set.

Found a tool length presetter today. The Fowler you are referring to, happen to
know if it also detect in z direction?

There are plenty of cheap LED beep edge sensor, around 5µm claimed accuracy so
I will try one of these. Would however prefer to also have z-axis edge detector
to measure height of work piece compared to tool setter.

Regards Nicklas Karlsson