If it is a small enough lathe - I would just take the tail stock off to
home..  (that is what I do on the emco)

Have a cam style follower.   So it home somewhere halfway down the travel.
(so most of the time the tailstock is out of the way.  (if it is past the
trip point - it will home the other direction)  Then have a switch on the
tail stock that acts as an overtravel.