This is NOT a "Raspberry Pi" thing, not even a "Linux thing" asking to run
an executable is specific to Debian Buster.   I think Debian must be a
distant 6th place among operating system running on Pi.   Raspberian is #1
by far, then a couple of versions of Ubuntu and then Debian.    That said,
all these other in 1st to 5th place are modified versions of Debian.
 Circular logic, I guess.  Butt goes to show most users prefer some
modifications to Debian.

BTW Apple's macOS makes a compromise.  It asks you only the first time you
run the app.  It says "You are about to run this thing downloaded from the
Internet, Are you sure?"  If you click "yes" it remembers and does not ask
the next time.    This is the best, I think.   It prevents people from
getting tricked into running random software but is not so anoying.

The problem with with Windows is you can't tell what will happen if you
click an icon.  You click this thing that claims to be a nude photo of some
celebrity and it really is a program that logs keystrokes and sends them to
some Russian mafia guy who wants your password to your bank account.

The neat thing about Debian is that it is open source and you can modify it
any way you like

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California