I have worked on Siemens controls and drives for years.
It depends on how old your Simodrive is.
Do you have a Simodrive 611U or an earlier 611 drive?
They had some really old drives in the early 90s that were also called 611's but they were not like the later 611's. The later drives were usually in a rack format and they usually ran off one common DC bus power supply. However it was possible to have a standalone power module with an onboard controller in the later drives. To my knowledge, most were setup in velocity mode and provided encoder feedback, even if the motors had resolvers. However, there were a lot of variants.   Hopefully you have some common drives.

Do you have a 9 pin serial port on the front of the controller?
If so you may be able to communicate with it via the Simocom software.
You should not need a special cable if it is a 9 pin connector.  If it is female, use a rs232 extention cable.
If male, use a null modem cable.
I believe some of the much older drives had 25 pin com connectors.
However, I never run into those any longer.

Most people find the config software fairly confusing.   The 611 drives after the early version were extremely flexible drives (to a fault). If you want to tweak the drive, the first thing you should do is to save your existing configuration to a computer file.

Siemens won't talk to you about those drives unless are willing to pay for support.  They have been obsolete for a long time now.
But that is better than most vendors.

The amount of documentation available for "611" drives was/is fairly overwhelming and that is because they were made for a long time and they evolved.

Here are some links:

It appears that you can still download the software for free.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf/us/en/posts/is-it-possible-to-connect-to-simodrive-611-using-simocomu-13020201-and-usb-rs232-adapter-or-do-i-need-a-special-cable-for-this-quest/80653/?page=0&pageSize=10

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/search?search=SimoComU&type=ProductSupport%2CCatalog%2CCertificate%2CCharacteristic%2CDownload%2CDownloadSoftwareArchive%2CExampleOfUse%2CFaq%2CManual%2CProductNote%2CSlk%2CForum&lc=en-US

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/products?dtp=Download&mfn=ps&pnid=13259&lc=en-WW

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/109769939/simodrive-611u-v14-03-02-package?dti=0&pnid=13259&lc=en-WW

BTW, they were really good drives. They are still running thousands of machines.   The problem now is replacement parts.   If you can find them, they are expensive, and they were never cheap to begin with.

Dave