On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 19:34, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:

> Making a new lower pulley with 9 teeth is out of the question.  It's too
> small for only 9T and definitely won't fit on the 19mm motor shaft.  And
> that's the kicker.  At almost 3/4" the pulley that goes onto it has to be
> large enough to have a decent grip with set screws onto a 6mm key.

I seem to recall that it is recommended to not go below 12T anyway.

I don't know much about L and XL belts, all my machines have used T5.
T5 is available in widths from 8mm to 25mm.
https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/T5-Section-5mm-Pitch-1224-c

I also have the correct hob for making custom T5 pulleys, so that is
one reason for _me_ to use them.

You could consider ignoring the keyway, especially if the motor shafts
have a threaded hole in the end.

I have several times taken inspiration from the Trantorque bushings:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/keyless-bushes/7542545/
However they require a huge central bore, so what I have done is
machine the pulley bore with a taper and then pull or push in a
sleeve.
At various times I have used a bolt in the end of the shaft, a nut
pulling the wedge through, or a ring of bolts to push the wedge in.

Here is variation on the theme, with two tapers:
https://bodgesoc.blogspot.com/2017/01/gears.html

--
atp
lunatics."